REYYSMAAN AVUDDAIYAR


Prose fiction (Flash fiction)

Walking at the corridor looking into each and every classroom. Every time I crossed, there were tiny, little pairs of eyes that were noticing me. I felt a sense of responsibility in myself. Suddenly, my legs felt numb. I couldn’t walk ahead. My heart dropped looking at the teacher canning his student. Memories started to flood. That incident reminded me of my teacher punishing me for not completing my homework. I still could remember how embarrassing was it for me to get punished in front of my friends. Some even smirked at me. That embarrassment turned into frustration and that frustration turned into vengeance. Not vengeance towards my teacher, but towards my friends. I badly wanted to show them that I can be successful too. The image of my friends smirking at me flashed in my mind whenever I felt like giving up. Now, I am standing here in the school as a future teacher looking at the same incident that happened to me a decade ago. I believe that I am on the right track of my life right now. I believe I am successful now, but there is still a long way to go. I continued my steps. I noticed the student’s paw-like-hands trembling in fear. He wanted to cry but at the same time didn’t want to get embarrassed in front of his friends. The teacher’s eyes were holding total anger but at the same time were dilated, as he is guilty of punishing the little creature. I can’t accuse the teacher for being mean as the same punishment had made me who am I today. As I walked, I saw the cleaner watering the flowers. Why does the cleaner has to water the plants every day although she knows it will take a long time for them to grow? That is what meant by effort. Teachers are like the cleaners. It will take a lot of effort for them to shape students and they should never give up. If the cleaner stops watering the plants, the plants will wilt. If teachers give up on their students, students will fail in their lives. Cleaners might change, but the flower will continue growing if it gets enough water every day.



Prose non-fiction (Travel writing)

Last day of School-Based Report

It was six past twenty when I woke up. I sighed slightly remembering how sad it was to leave one of the best schools in Kelantan. Anyways I had a sense of relief, as I’m about to escape from the headmaster. His sharp look towards me has freaked me out throughout the week. I got up, had my bath and prepared myself for school. We wore our green t-shirt, as the school conducts sports on every Thursday morning. While heading to the school, I saw the beautiful paddy field blab la. I thanked God for his creation. Upon arriving at the school, we parked our car near the canteen as the usual parking spot is used to play netball. We walked to the office and clocked in our punch cards. After keeping our bags in the library, we headed to the hall and saw the teachers striving hard to make sure the seven years old kids reduce their noise. One of the teachers eyes suddenly turned towards us. She had a grin smile on her face and I knew the reason. She asked us to conduct the session. We were panicked as we were not prepared at all, but at the same time we have to take up the challenge as we are the future teachers. One of us quickly suggested aerobics. Fortunately, Nabhan is an aerobics conductor and he remembered the steps. I went to the backstage and took out the long, black wire to connect it to my phone. We couldn’t stop smiling as we didn’t expect this to happen. Without thinking further, we just followed the steps made by our beloved aerobics instructor. We played four songs and each one of us took turns to take videos of us conducting the aerobics session. Everything went fine till the Nabhan handed me the microphone and asked me to conduct the next session. Muzammil suggested me to conduct the ‘Simon Says’ activity with the students. It was indeed embarrassing, but I am a future teacher. I took up the challenge. I have to admit that the kids followed my instructions very well. I could barely notice students who followed the wrong instructions. Suddenly, my hands trembled. He is back. The headmaster walked passing the students. Why does he have to walk when I am conducting the session? I ignored him as much as possible and continued my session with the pupils. The session ended smoothly and all the students were very joyful. Next was the evaluation. We went to the office and met the headmaster. He asked us to wait at the meeting room. All of us were tensed as it was our first time getting evaluated by a headmaster in a meeting room. We entered the meeting room imagining it as a haunted house. As he entered, all sort of feelings hit me. I was only able to put up a smile to cover myself from freaking out. Then, he asked each one of us to deliver our feedback about the school. I was the last person to deliver feedback. I appreciated the headmaster for bringing up a productive environment in the school. I realized on how shy and proud was he of himself for being the headmaster of the best school in Kelantan. Soon after, he mentioned the initiatives that he has taken while being the headmaster of the school. I was so stunned of the initiatives taken by him in making sure his school is the number one. He evaluated us and wished us luck before leaving. We got out of the meeting room and were so excited as if we obtained straight As in the SPM examinations. While seeing him leaving us, I felt that he is not actually that mean. He trained himself to be so, in order for the teachers and students to be disciplined. Right after that, we went to the staff room and met our mentor and teachers. They were very happy and wished us luck. It was really hard to leave the little minions but I was forced to. After all, this is a teacher’s life.


Poetry (Modern poems)

I felt the responsibility,
When I stepped on the school,
Smiling at the security officer who waved at me,

I felt the responsibility,
When pupils looked proudly,
And greeted me with a smile,

I felt the responsibility,
When teachers welcomed me,
Putting a lovely smile on their faces,

I felt the responsibility,
When the headmaster talked with me,
Briefing about the school,

I felt the responsibility,
When I entered the classroom,
Teaching the students,

I felt the responsibility,
When students hugged me and cried,
Before I leave the school.  




Comments

  1. I feel like I've entered a time machine, following your words into my childhood memories where I was being canned, but, your feelings inspire me that it's my responsibility not to become that kind of friend, and be a responsible teacher as it may make a pupil feel shameful and even hurt his feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great piece of writing. i was inspired from your poem, the responsibilities of being a teacher. hope to look for more writing piece from you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share us your thoughts!

Popular Posts