MOW PEI SHAN


Prose fiction - Short Story
The Warm Words
            The soft yellowish clouds are floating above the sky and the sun is rising slowly from the other side of the sky. The new day is coming and everyone feels so energetic. The bell rang and everyone is heading towards their classrooms. There is a girl wearing her favourite pink baju kurung, standing nervously outside the office. Suddenly, a man asked her to enter the office and he shows the place to the nervous girl.
            She followed the man and stepped inside the office slowly. She had butterflies in her stomach. The others looked at her with a curious and weird face. The judging and new faces that she saw made her feel uncomfortable in the office.  She felt that she wants to leave this room as soon as possible. After setting up her place in the office, she went to the washroom quickly for the fresh breath. When she was calming herself in the washroom, a woman came in. Accidentally, she crashed the woman.
            They looked at each other for a minute. Silence came. The girl was having fast heartbeats in herself. The girl remembered this woman. This woman is the one who inspired her when she was young. Surely, she is not going to forget this woman in her entire life. “Hai, Madam Wong. How are you?” The sentence came out from her deep throat. Without a moment, the woman said excitedly. “Mow Pei Shan! Why are you here, my dear!? It’s been a long time that we did not meet since you graduate!”
            “Madam, I am here for SBE in this week.”
            “Oh, you are the one who they mentioned just now! Jom, we go to the canteen and talk there. So smelly here!”
            After that, the girl and the woman went to the canteen. The woman told the girl that she was going to be her mentor for this week. Then, the girl expressed her feelings and problems to the woman such as feeling uncomfortable and nervous when she met the new faces in the office.  However, the girl did not feel awkward and nervous when she talked to the woman. They had an enjoyable time with each other and chatting at the canteen. There is no word can be used to describe this feeling. As good friends, as teacher-student, as mother-daughter, they shared their sweet and good memories together. The girl felt more motivated after having a long talk with the woman. Her words calmed the girl easily like how it worked before. Suddenly, the woman was called to attend a meeting in the office. Before leaving the girl, the woman said softly, “I trust you can do it! No worries, my dear. I will guide you like how I did before. I am here for you.”
            The words touched the girl’s heart. Then, she wiped the tears on her face…..
The end.

Prose non-fiction: Diary

Monday, April 1 2019
Dear Diary,
            “Yeay, finally, today is the day!” I exclaimed it in my heart. Today is the first day of my last phase of SBE. I am so excited because I made a decision a few months before. That is I will be doing my last phase of SBE at my former primary school, S.J.K. (C) Wan Hwa 1. Besides, I am doing it with my three lovely friends who are Jie Ning, Ser Yen and Dorreen. This is also the first time that I do my SBE with them! I’m looking forward to a lot of happiness and memories with them throughout this week.
            This morning, Jie Ning, Ser Yen and I walked to school together since they are living at my house this week. Upon reaching the school, I saw there was a male teacher standing outside the gate and we greeted him politely. I think he is a new teacher because I did not meet him during my school time. He asked us to wait in the office and soon the Penolong Kanan 1 (PK 1) will meet us.  I feel extremely nervous when I stepped into the schoolyard. There are many butterflies in my stomach! Words cannot describe my feelings at that moment. Without delaying time, my friends and I met the PK 1 in his office. After introducing ourselves and explaining our task to him, the PK 1 brought us to the main hall because they are having assembly now. Unexpectedly, we were asked to sit on the stage. This is the first time I step back into this school after graduating for nine years. When I was still a young primary pupil, I sat under the stage; and now, I am sitting on the stage as a teacher. I feel so touched and I realised that I grew up a lot. At the same time, I am wondering who the headmaster for this school is this year. When the headmaster is called out to give his speech, I feel that I want to shout it out. This is because the headmaster, who is giving his speech in front of me, is the male teacher that I greeted at the gate just now! “Luckily, we greeted him…” my friends whispered to me.
            Then, we met the headmaster in his office after the assembly. The headmaster welcomed us with his open arms. He treated us friendly and told us that we can look for him when we need his help. After that, he told us to use the meeting room for this week. The meeting room is just beside his office! Besides, there was an interesting story! There are some teachers that taught me before still servicing for this school such as Madam Lee, Madam Ng and so on. Their reactions were the same when they recognised me. They first looked at my face by a curious and weird look. After that, there was a big grin hung on their faces and they asked, “Ehh, Mow Pei Shan! Why are you here?!” Let me tell you a secret, dear Diary! I feel so touched and happy when they recognised me and said out my name. This means that I leave a good impression for my teachers? Well, I hope I did.
            I also met Madam Wong who inspired me a lot to be a great dancer when I was young! I felt so excited to meet her because I thought she was retired a few years ago. She gave me a super big hug when she met me at the canteen. There was a lump in my throat. I felt so warm because she was like my second mother! We shared a lot of fun and memorable memories during the good old times. We were as good friends and talking without any awkwardness. However, the greyish-white hair and the wrinkles on her face stabbed my heart like a knife. I hope the time stopped and she will not getting older after this….. Out of my expectation, Mr. Lim told us that Madam Wong is our mentor for this week. Hence, I will appreciate this chance to spend time with her and other teachers!
            Anyway, dear diary, I think I had to stop writing now because my mother prepared some delicious supper for me and my friends. Let me tell you my story in school tomorrow!

Love,
Agnes.

Poetry
Last Day of School
Ring, ring, ring.
The bell rang and the kids are running towards their classroom
And I am walking slowly in the schoolyard, enjoying the views
How eager I wish,
I could grab all these views into my sights

Ring, ring, ring.
I followed her to the class and it looks the same with ten years ago
Sitting behind the class, observing how she teaches the kids
Feeling like I am studying with them together in the class
How eager I wish,
I could go back to the good old times

Ring, ring, ring.
We brought the kids to the canteen and they called it as the heaven of this school
The noise and laughter, giving the canteen an energetic life
Gobbling the delicious food hurriedly
How eager I wish,
 I could enjoy eating this delicious food after leaving this school

Ring, ring, ring
It’s time for us to pack our things
Walking out from the room and everyone waves hands at us
How eager I wish,
I could stay here as a child, living happily without any worries
But I realised that
It is the last day of school
And the reality of life is waiting for me



Comments

  1. wow amazing! Great to know that you are enjoying these experiences. Fighting !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great piece of writing. Simple and easy to understand. The feelings of the writer is well described! Stay positive, Pei Shan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Masterpiece!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, i think madam wong is the one who inspire you to become a teacher. great piece of writing. The poem is good, able to understand your feelings when you need to leave the school again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can feel your sincerity in your writing. Wonderful writing and manage to touch my heart

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well developed storyline. However, since it is a short story, it will be better if you make it all in past tenses. Anyway, I like your piece of writing, especially the poem. I am so glad that you had a nice experience in your last sbe. Keep going on! Your life can be happy and simple as you want.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the way you describe! 👍

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good piece of writing. Very interesting story. I feel you girl when you mentioned your primary teacher remember your name. Good luck in future

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great that you had fun during your SBE! Keep doing your good work. Future teacher for my kids.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share us your thoughts!

Popular Posts