FATIN SYAZWANI



Poem

Killed two birds with one stone

From North to East,
The bus driver drive,
I feel the gentle breeze,
Now I know that I had arrived.

Learning while travelling,
That’s the two things that I do,
In a place I’ve been dreaming,
Called Kuala Terengganu.

Ocean is the first place to go,
Where I can see water that crystal clear,
The sound of the waves blow,
Become music to my ear.

The day already came,
It’s time for me to step somewhere,
SK Bukit Tunggal is the name,
Now I can see kids’ face everywhere.

I’ m glad that my arrival is welcoming,
Nothing much that I can do,
Just smiling and introducing,
To let them get the clue.

Intriguing activities had caught my attention,
Colouring contest had been done,
The kids have a very strong intention,
They strive to become number one.

Five days taking the opportunity to learn,
Kind-hearted teachers share knowledge like it’s not a burden,
Taking as much as I can,
Now I’ m ready to do the assignments given.

Last day had haunted me,
Memories in Kuala Terengganu will never be gone,
The tears turn into merry,
As I realized I had killed two birds with one stone.






Prose fiction


The Best One Comes to the Last One

Sunlight streamed through the open window and there was a glow in the room. My alarm shrilled signaled that it was already early in the morning. I took my pink baju kurung from the cupboard and wore it with a peach scarf. I looked at the mirror a few times, to make sure that my appearance is not too bad on my first day. Suddenly, I remembered my mother’s advice. ‘Wani, you need to remember that first impression is very important’. I hold my mother’s advice until today. That’s the reason I looked at the mirror repeatedly before I stepped my legs outside of the house.  Confidently, I said to myself, ‘Yes! I’m ready. I know I can do this.’ I grabbed my nametag placed on the makeup desk and pinned it to my scarf.
The first thing that crossed my eyes was the board that stated in front of the school which is ‘Sekolah Kebangsaan Bukit Tunggal’. It was a school in Kuala Terengganu. Travelling and learning. These were the two reasons on why I came here. As the saying goes, killing two birds with one stone. This was the first time for me to carry out my school-based experience (SBE) while playing tourist in this beautiful place. I walked towards the office with my SBE’s mate. Both of us felt the same feeling even though it was our third time to do SBE. We felt butterflies rise up in our stomach fluttering about like a small circus. Holding some documents in the hands, we greeted the teachers there with a cheerful face. Luckily, our arrival was welcomed and I could sense the Terengganu vibes there. Almost all of them were talking using Terengganu dialects.
The next day, I was given the opportunity to relief a class, which is 4 Salam. The class was truly noisy like the jumble of sounds coming from their mouths when all of them tried to speak at the same time. The noise rises in a crescendo until I appeared to put an end to the uproar. The abrupt silence that follows is golden. The situation was chaotic back as they began to gossip among themselves. All eyes were centered on me and they looked at me quizzically. I already knew what they were thinking about. “Who am I? Am I their new teacher?’ Those were the questions that I could thought of, in that moment. I had no time to leap my eyes as I need to control every inches of their movement. ‘Good morning, class.’  I greeted them energetically, wishing that it could give them a brighter spirit to start the lesson. The students answered my greeting musically following the familiar tones that I used to do once I was in my primary school. I introduced myself and started to get along with them nicely. I looked at my watch and I still got another 30 minutes with them. I asked them ‘Would you like to play a game, class?’ They answered excitedly, ‘Yes, yes, we want, teacher!’ I gave instructions about the game and everyone nodded their head showing that they were clearly understood.
 ‘Okay, times up! Leader of the group can go in front of the class now and start acting like what I asked you to.’ I said to them strictly. They laughed loudly when one of their friends acted like a monkey. A boy raised his hand and guessed correctly. I gave a sweet to the boy who was able to participate actively in the activity that I had carried on. It was indeed a memorable experience that I got with them. Looking at their enthusiasm in the classroom, my heart was exploded with joy. ‘Wani, you did your best! The students love your game just now.’ I talked to myself after left the class.

The rays of the morning sun began to break through the thick envelope of mist. My alarm clock rests on my desk ticking away each inevitable second of the day, only to shake, rattle and ring me to wake up. I felt a little bit lazy to wake up this morning as it was my last day in the wonderful place .Seven days was never enough for me to explore the whole Kuala Terengganu. However, I had a great experience visiting some famous places and it was not a wrong decision at all for me to do my last SBE in SK Bukit Tunggal. I had met a lot of warm-hearted people around me and I was able to observe the students’ behavior. The people, the foods and the environment had definitely made me fallen in love with the place. Their dialect was really different from mine, which is Kedah. I considered my last SBE’s experience to be some of the best days and I tried to impress upon my friends to derive every ounce of enjoyment of their experience too. I glad that I survived myself to understand their daily conversations using their special dialect. It was a great experience with a wonderful place to visit, and warm-hearted people that I have met along my final SBE. It made me concluded on one thing ‘The best one comes to the last one.’   


Prose non-fiction

On 2nd of April 2019, Sekolah Kebangsaan Bukit Tunggal conducted a colouring contest in the main hall. Everyone is free to participate in this contest and special gifts will be given to five winners. This is the advertisement that had been spread out to the whole students in the school.

 Please read it! Thank you.




Comments

  1. what a wonderful write-up to read. as a reader, i also enjoy the moments and all the experiences. you're a giving and plotting the reader to feel closely of what you have done there. nicely conveyed the experience and put into words and sentences. good job! you sorted your ideas nicely and that poem is so clear and easily understood. write more, you're good. btw, you are such a nice teacher and for sure, kids love you. am i right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every writer has its own style, tone and skill to deliver a message in his/her own interesting ways. you are one of them. such a good writing. expends and widen up you vocab, as the time will pass and you’ll gain experience, you will involuntarily develop your own unique writing style. good job dear miss teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you 're writing an experience essay. so pure which is it doesn't require any outside resources or research. as the reader, i could feel it. the journey you experience from the beginning to the end, really worth to read. thanks for nicely compile them and put into an easy-reading essay. and the poem, just wow! Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. good job and keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share us your thoughts!

Popular Posts